Friday, July 29, 2005

 
BOMBON - EL PERRO
7.5/10
This was an Argentinian film about an unemployed man in his 50s and what happens when he is given a pedigree dog as thanks for a kindness he performs. I've decided that I really like Argentinian films as a general rule. There's something very special about the relationship this man has with the dog in this film. I think it's his lack of cynicism or bitterness as well as his accepting of others. In the film he partners with a man who is experienced with pedigree dogs, and I found that his immediate trust towards others was endearing, if not potentially foolish.

PRIMER
7.5/10
I really liked this film, though I'll admit it went over my head by the end. It's a sci-fi flick, but what made it very cool was that it didn't appear to be trying to dumb anything down for the audience's benefit. Entire conversations (sometimes even overlapping with more than two people) pass between characters discussing their invention with all kinds of jargon mumbo jumbo etc, and it adds a sense of credibility to the film. I imagine it's what happens when someone who knows little about computers hears a couple of sysadmins chatting about work. Anyway, I really liked the film, though I'll certainly need a second viewing to try and work out more. Basically it involves a machine with allows the main characters to live the same day twice, though it progresses past this. I'm sure there's someone who's figured it out, but I'll definititely try and catch it again some time. Apparently it was shot on a really low budget, but I didn't notice that affecting the quality of this film at all. Recommended for geeks :-).

Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?