Thursday, July 21, 2005

 
FROZEN
not rated
I was really looking forward to this one - unfortunately it started about 15 minutes late, and I ended up having to leave before it finished, so I don't feel that it's fair to give it a score. I've been told that the last 20 mins or so of the film does tie up a lot of what's been going on which is good to hear ;-). The first chunk was very nicely shot and I did enjoy its lazy pace, but after over an hour of watching a woman who was obviously very much still in mourning for her missing (presumed dead?) sister wander somewhat aimlessly through her existence, I did begin to yawn a bit. Given I didn't see it all, I can't suggest whether it's worth going to the cinema for if it gets a local release, but I'd certainly recommend it as a DVD rental.

DARK HORSE
8/10
I really liked this one and I suspect it will eventuate into one of my faves of the festival. Shot in Black and White, it has a great sense of humour with some laugh out loud moments during the first 'chapters' of the film (of which there are 12). It did tend to drag towards the end, but redeemed itself by the closing credits. Highly recommended!

HIDDEN
7/10
A french film starring Juliette Binoche is difficult for me to pass up. This was a soft thriller/stalker/drama, and I doubt that you'll see a 'No Animals Were Harmed in the Making of this Picture' line in the credits... Was certainly watchable, and had a cryptic enough ending that had everyone looking at each other when it was over to see if they missed something or not. (Well at least our group did that anyway). Would be interested to hear what others thought though. I never claimed to be a brainiac when it comes to cinema, so subtleties go over my head on many an occasion :-). It certainly wasn't an awful film by any stretch, but it didn't really give me enough satisfaction to say it was anything better than okay to good.



If you've seen any of the above films, please feel free to add your thoughts or comments. Or, if you've seen something else or have other comments, that you'd like to contribute to me, please feel free to get in touch by emailing me.

Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?