Saturday, July 30, 2005

 
MARISCOS BEACH
7/10
I've seen a couple of great French films this festival, so this one's getting a 7 because it wasn't quite as enjoyable as The Ax or Housewarming... It's a story about a middle aged couple and their two kids, and the goings on during a summer holiday in the chateau where the father spent time in his youth. Had several amusing moments and was nice enough, but I felt the ending was a little too unbelievable given the feel of the rest of the film. Anyway, my mother wasn't Dutch, so maybe I'm just a bit too uptight about it :-).


GHIBLI: THE MIZAYAKI TEMPLE
5.5/10
With the name Mizayaki in the title, you'd think they'd actually be able to interview the guy. But, apparently he doesn't like being interviewed, or something... Without it, the whole thing seemed a little less worthwhile, especially as I didn't really feel like there was much story told by those that they did interview. Fine to watch if it comes on TV, but I wouldn't pay money to see it at a cinema.

CLEAN
8/10
Very good film - another film dealing with heroin, and similarly to Little Fish (see earlier comments about it), I liked the turns that it took and the story that was told. Nice to have uplifting moments in a film dealing with drugs and their relationship to a rock 'n roll death.

AMERICAN RULING CLASS
7/10
Firstly, wow, what a Q&A. I haven't been to (m)any Q&As at MIFF before but I really didn't think the poor guy standing up the front deserved the caning he got. Some of the people really didn't give him a fair go imho. There are some flaws in this film which tries to demonstrate a flaw in America's system, but really, I do think that if a film can try and make people think a little about their lives and their futures, it's worthwhile. Worth checking out. BTW, to that chick at the front who thought the ending was 'trite', I think that's meant to be the point - it's why it was referred to as an 'alternate ending'.

Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?