Saturday, July 23, 2005

 
Very tired tonight so may not be as verbose

DARWIN'S NIGHTMARE
7/10
Frightening indeed. In a nutshell, Africans starve to death while working to feed the first world. Not an 'up' film at all. I think everyone knows the world is a bit shit, and I wonder what can be done to actually fix it. I guess if the answer were that simple, it would already be done. :-(.

OSCAR
7/10
Quick and nice. I'm amazed how this guy creates new art out of existing billboards without being arrested. Most interesting to me was watching the scenes where the advertising company wanted to chat to him, and to see his internal ethics working as to whether he would accept working with 'the enemy'.

ME AND YOU AND EVERYONE WE KNOW
7.89/10
A quirky rating for a quirky film. I actually really liked it, so it really should be an 8/10 I guess. It had some great scenes - The only thing that kind of raises a flag in the back of my mind is that eventually quirky films like this are going to be so run on the mill that they won't be quirky anymore. Don't think we're quite there yet, so I give this one ranking amongst my favourites of the festival so far. Best bit is the creation of this into the greater public consciousness: ))<>((. Oh! and big ups for using a great Spiritualized song in the soundtrack :-)

A WORLD WITHOUT THIEVES
7/10
Yeah. So, key point of the day is that my mind begins to numb and I get tired after being in the city for 12 hours, even if only 8 of it was watching films.. This was actually quite enjoyable for the most part, centring around two thieves (mostly) protecting a naive guy with truckloads of cash from a gang of other professional thieves. It was great really until the last 20 mins or so where it seemed to go off the rails a bit (pun intended, haw). They spent a reasonable time creating a relationship between Dumbo (the naive guy) and the Wangs, but all of that is virtually forgotten at the end as the story twists into a cops vs thieves story. Admittedly I began to get a bit tired towards the end so maybe my lack of satisfaction rests on missing some subtitles...

Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?