Monday, July 25, 2005

 
THE WILD BIRDS OF TELEGRAPH HILL
8/10
The hits keep on coming at this year's MIFF - this is a lovely documentary about a sweet natured man in San Francisco who for over five years studied and became friends with a flock of parrots. Aside from the fact that he admits it during the film, you can tell that he has a real love for these animals and you walk out feeling glad that you've found out about his story. You'll laugh, you'll cry, you'll stand up and cheer. Okay, well maybe not the last of those three, but his story sucks you in and the result is that you just feel a little better about the world. It won't be the most important documentary you ever see, but it will make you feel good.

DAYS AND HOURS
not rated
I walked out. I'll admit, I got into the cinema, had a choc top and then my eyelids started to droop 10 minutes into this film and I drifted in and out for the hour that I was there, so I can't fairly judge it, and won't - One of the hardest things about a subtitled film is that you can't rest your eyes and listen for a couple of minutes. If there was a story, I really didn't catch onto it. Would love to hear what others thought. Maybe I missed a gem, but I suspect not, given that I saw a couple of other people leave before I did.


On a separate note, I got a note from a gentleman named Tim Chuma today who is also doing a blog on his take of the festival - I've added a link to his site on the links column on the left there, so do check it out!

Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?