Sunday, August 07, 2005

 
MURDERBALL
8/10
Great documentary - a film about a wheelchair rugby doesn't sound like something I ought to enjoy, given my somewhat lacking excitement over sport generally, but this was really fantastic. The doco was very well put together and included a lot of personal history of the players we saw. Great editing and appropriate soundtrack kept your attention. Don't miss this if you get the chance to see it.

THE BIG SWINDLE
7/10
Well, it was a nice change to have a South Korean cop/baddie film that didn't involve the random inclusion of several non-sensical plot points in the last half that leave you wondering what the hell is going on. This was a South Korean 'Ocean's Eleven'-eqsque heist film that did pretty well. Ultimately, I felt they were chasing the hollywood look and feel a little too much and didn't quite succeed in achieving it. Watchable.

3 - IRON
8/10
Yes, another brilliant film! This was done by Kim Ki-duk, who gave us 'Spring, Summer, Fall, Winter... and Spring' last year... (A film I wanted to see but which I didn't make it to). It's hard to describe this, other than to say don't miss this one if you get the chance. It reminded me a little bit of 'In the Mood For Love' in terms of pace and feel. I liked it so much, I decided not to go to my last session for the festival so that I knew I'd finish on a high. Mesmerising.

Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?