Tuesday, August 02, 2005

 
SCREAMING MASTERPIECE

I fell asleep through a lot of this, but in a good way :-). I really like bands like Sigur Ros and Mum (and Bjork too), so this documentary about Icelandic music was right down my alley. I often listen to SR and Mum when I go to sleep at night, so I suspect that this music-heavy documentary might have triggered my mind into a relaxed enough state to snooze. Anyway, the parts I did see were great, so If I had to give it a score it'd be closer to 10 than to zero. There was another band in the doco called Bang Gang which sounded really good too, so I'll be trying to get a CD by them ASAP. Luckily their latest one is available locally through shock records.

DEAD MAN'S SHOES
8/10
I really liked this film, though it might not really deserve an 8/10 perhaps - maybe a 7.8/10... I think what did it for me was one of the actors, Paddy Considine, who I loved as the father in 'In America' at MIFF a couple of years ago. Anyway, this film isn't overly complex or anything - it's a tale of revenge, executed (pun intended) by the brother of mentally retarded man who was regularly picked on by the local thugs in a small UK town. Think Kill Bill, but about three hours shorter maybe. Okay, not really, but definitely worth checking out. I hope this one gets a wider release here.

Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?