Tuesday, August 02, 2005

 
UNO
7/10
I had fairly high hopes for this film after seeing 'Hawaii, Oslo', and then noticing that one of the actors (who was also Johnny Vang in the film of that name a year or two at MIFF, and which I really enjoyed) wrote and directed this one. I was a little disappointed. There wasn't anything particularly bad about the film, and it was certainly watchable, but it wasn't really my style I guess. It's about a guy who works in a gym that is dealing in steroids. He tries to do the right thing by people generally, but sometimes he needs to prioritise the needs of one ove another causing conflict. A somewhat depressing film.

WHAT ALICE FOUND
6.5/10
This year's MIFF seems to have an unofficial theme of being the year of the promiscuous teen. This film is a cautionary tale of why you shouldn't use your middle finger on a highway. Or, something. It was an okay, but not great tale of a girl who is a little lost and what happens when she's rescued by a couple of good samaritans who happens to be pimp/whore/husband/wife. Some of the acting was pretty awful, but it was cool to hear an American accent rarely found in film - the teenage girl was from massachusetts where they pronounce 'car' like 'kah'. (reminds me of the simpsons episode where the cook is forced to 'say chowdah!'. Missable.

LOOK BOTH WAYS
7.5/10
An Australian film that was better than I expected - I thought it would be all about a train wreck and how the survivors found new meaning in their lives. There was a train wreck, but it didnt directly relate to any of the main characters, all of who had their own issues to deal with. It was a nice film, set in a Sydney suburb, was well paced and different enough to recommend, with short animated sequences interspersed throughout. Ultimately while I liked it, it didn't change my life enough for me to consider it a must-see film. But, it's certainly worth a look.

Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?